Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 13:03:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        JG <amd64list@jpgsworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

On Sun, 23 May 2004, JG wrote:

> > > Tell me all the FreeBSD tests you want to see & I'll do them if I can.
> >
> >I think the tests you ran are fine, but just run them with
> >the same version of the OS and mysql.  Try to use -current
> >if possible, there were a couple of bugs in libpthread (libkse
> >as it was installed in 5.2-release) that affected its mysql
> >performance.
>
> MOST HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME VERSION OF MYSQL
>
> MOST HAVE BEEN USING FREEBSD-CURRENT.
>
> MOST HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME OS.
>
> There are about 20 different benchmark results out there that
> I have posted - with more on the way.

None consolidated in the same post with the same versions
of FreeBSD and mysql.  Like I said before, there are a ton
of posts on amd64@ and some here on threads@.  It would
help much if you were to summarize them on a web page so
that all of us don't have to go searching through all
the archives trying to do it ourselves.

> Find the ones you want to compare and compare them.
>
> You'll see that with using even bleeding edge development
> code, as well as standard production code, with all the my.cnf
> tweaks you can muster -- that LINUX out of the box will beat

Yes, but isn't the point to find out where the bottleneck
is, not to just say that some version of Linux is faster
than -current?  This is the threads@ mailing list, and
from what I've seen so far it doesn't look like threading
is the bottleneck.  The default configuration with
libpthread vs FreeBSD-linuxthreads seems to be similar.
The big increase is when going to native Linux.  This
would suggest that it is kernel-related.  The comparisons
of libthr vs libpthread seem to be similar also.

> You'll also see that MULTI CPU FreeBSD systems don't do
> much better, and in some cases do WORSE than single CPU's
> when it comes to MySQL.

Yes, we know that the kernel needs some more work WRT
locking, but that isn't a topic for threads@.

> >Another thing to try is to change the my-huge.cnf settings
> >one by one and see how they affect FreeBSD local performance.
>
> No.
>
> Everyone here wants to say "But you're comparing apples to oranges!"
> and now you're telling me to do just that.

No we're not.  I want to know what aspects of those
mysql conf settings affect FreeBSD performance.  Perhaps
it can help find one of the bottlenecks.

> Why don't we compare apples to apples and use stock my.cnf settings
> for both?

That's fine.  You were trying to run dual tests (stock and huge
my.cnf settings) on each platform but mostly chose to look at
huge cnf remote results.

--
Dan Eischen