Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:39:14 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Bjorn Tornqvist <bjorn@tornqvist.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD,Posix,Linux Threading - Are they really useable?

On Friday, July 28, 2000, Bjorn Tornqvist wrote:
> PosixThreads are userland threads - if one thread blocks on i/o the
> whole process is blocked. Which makes PosixThreads rather useless.

   That is incorrect.  FreeBSD's userland pthread implementation
does not block the whole process on I/O.  POSIX does not specify
this behavior either.

> FreeBSD Kernel-threads (dunno what they are called actually) can't be
> used natively!? (Searched the archives and found an explanation that the
> only way to access normal kernel SMP-thread functionality is to use
> LinuxThreads)

   FreeBSD's kernel threads are for separate threads of execution
in the kernel and aren't the same thing as threads for a user
process.

> LinuxThreads: While they are kernel-threads, if one thread receives an
> uncought signal, all threads are killed (as they should be), but the
> resulting coredump is useless since it only captures the state of the
> last-killed-thread (or process or whatever you want to call it.
> LinuxThreads seems like just a big hack...).

   LinuxThreads on FreeBSD cannot be kernel threads because that
would require modifications to our scheduler which simply have
not been made.

--