Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:40:57 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: config for POP3 mail

Cynic wrote:
> Well... To make myself clear, I just describe my mail usage pattern
> (on NT), because that's what I'm used to, and basically I'm looking
> for a FreeBSD solution that will mimick it as closely as possible:
>
> My workstation is on basically non-stop. I use Eudora for fetching,
> reading, composing, and sending mail. It runs all the time. It checks
> for, fetches, and filters new email from my POP3 accounts into local
> folders every 3 minutes. I'm subscribed to a variety of mailing lists,
> of which several are as busy as this one. 170 -- 230 messages a day
> means that without regular vacuuing, my primary account (the one I'm
> sending this from) would fill up withing a few days (it's only 10M),
> and having all the mail in a single inbox would make it impossible to
> handle.
>
> So... I'm looking for a set of tools that will make me feel at home
> as much as possible. So far it looks like: fetchmail/getmail to
> retrieve and filter (could be done by procmail, right?) incoming
> messages, Pine/Mutt/whatever to read, compose, and further process
> the messages once they're here (like moving them from one folder to
> another one, forwarding, you get the idea), and sendmail (or alike) to
> send outgoing messages to my SMTP servers.

Since you put it that way, check out a number of advanced MUAs that are
available through the ports. Many of them include the 1/2 MTA I
described (that can send mail for you withoug a real MTA being
installed/configured) and include filtering, multiple mailboxes, etc.
Off the top of my head, balsa and evolution promise a nice feature set.
There are others. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any of these because
I've never found one that I liked/could get working well. But you may do
better to look down that avenue.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?