Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:55:14 -0400
From:      Dennis Ostrovsky <den@master.chem.yale.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X, Netscape, and keyboard freeze

I'm experiencing a strange/frustrating and reproducible problem. :)

Basically, whenever I use X windows (FBSD 2.2.5-Release and the X
distribution that came with it) and I use Netscape (v. 4.05, but same
problem with 4.04) the keyboard freezes after a while. As far as I can tell
it becomes totally non-functional. I can't switch to any virtual terms,
even caps lock doesn't work. It simply accepts no input. The mouse works
fine...everything appears to work fine, except the keyboard. When I don't
have Netscape running, this does not occur...although I haven't tried many
other X applications. I did have xv and nedit open for a while (on a
seperate occasion) and was typing stuff, and nothing bad happened. I'm
using afterstep as the window manager, which is started with xdm.

The problem is easily recreated by just holding down a key in an xterm
window (with Netscape running)....after about four lines of text, the
keyboard freezes.

No errors appear to be logged (or maybe I just don't know where to look),
and  the only way out of it is either a shutdown -r now (if I'm root, and I
execute it via a HotList item I added in afterstep) or a hard
reboot...which is of course Very Bad(tm).

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Dennis