Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:17:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <jeff@cc602670-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com>
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing to an hp500 deskjet from wordperfect

Reply To: iratus@home.com

> According to jeff:
> >
> > On 12-Jun-99 Gary Kline wrote:
> > >

> > >       I just installed wordperfect-8 on both my platforms
> > >       (running 2.2.8) and it works well.   As far as the
> > >       editing is concerned. Printing is another matter...
> > >
> > >       Has anybody gotten wp to print using the standard
> > >       lp|lpr spooler?  Or is there a translator|filter than
> > >       can turn wp files into PostScript?
> > >
> > >       thanks,
> > >
> > >       gary

> > ----------------------------------
> > E-Mail: jeff <iratus@home.com>
> > Date: 12-Jun-99
> > Time: 10:24:56
> >
> > This message was sent by XFMail
> > ----------------------------------
> > Hello-I use the following filter to print from WP 8. I am assuming you already
> > have it setup as to printer selection and need only to setup the destination.
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > while(<STDIN>) {chop $_; print "$_\r\n";};
> >
> > BTW-This little gem (also doubles as an excellant text print filter) is not my
> > invention, it comes from the "Linux Printing HOWTO". Hope this will do the
> > trick. Good Luck     Jeff Phillips
> >

> 	Hi Jeff,
>
> 	Can you give me some more insight on the setup?  I did select
> 	the "HP DeskJet" from the WP8 menu...  But the ``Destination''
> 	pop-up left me wondering.
>
> 	Do I
>
> 	(1) save your perl script in, say, /usr/local/bin/wp_filter
>
> 	(2) and put _that_ as the destination?
>
> 	Or something along these lines?
>
> 	thanks much,
>
> 	gary
Hello Gary-What I did is to call the perl script lpfilter and do a
chmod +x and dump it in /usr/local/bin. I then created a file in
/var/spool/lpd called lp (/var/spool/lpd/lp). Then I made the entry
in my /etc/printcap to reflect this and when I set up wp to print
I just checked off lp in the destination box. So far it has worked
like a charm. Obviously one could call lpfilter just about any name
that works as long as all the entries and files are properly named
and identified. There is a program called dj-printcap.tar.gz that contains
a printcap that is ideal with only very little modification. You should be
able to find it in the linux files at sunsite.unc.edu. There is
one other thing I almost forgot-Do not use postscript-The printer resource
file that comes with wp outputs code specific to your printer-postscript
will mess this up. Hope this will be enough to get you up and running.
Good Luck   Jeff Phillips