Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 10:45:51 -0500
From:      Scott Brickner <sjb@austin.ibm.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), pst@stupi.se, rgrimes@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, freebsd-foreign-secure@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

In message <199507241723.KAA19257@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> "Rodney W. Grimes" writes:
>As already pointed out no less than 2 times, DES is a munition, importing
>munitions is just as regulated as exporting them.  Makeing freefall's cvs/
>secure bits a slave to the ZA site is just as much a problem as exporting
>the bits from freefall :-(.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've tried to keep up on this.  Controls on munitions
are authorized by the <A HREF="ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/export/aeca.in.full">;
Arms Export Control Act (22 USC Sec 2778)</A>, and the details are set in
the <A HREF="ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/export/itar.in.full">International
Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR)</A>.  A quick glance through ITAR shows
you're likely wrong.  It's only the export or "temporary import" that are
controlled, where "temporary import means bringing into the U.S. from a
foreign country any defense article that is to be returned to the country
from which it was shipped or taken, or any defense article that is in
transit to another foreign destination."  Section 120.18 specifically
states that, "Permanent imports are regulated by the Department of the
Treasury (see 27 CFR parts 47, 178 and 179)."

In eight or nine months of following this ridiculous law, I've never heard
of any problems *importing* crypto, only *exporting*.