Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:45:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recompile ports when update kernel/userland?

tracking 4.4-stable.

Should I expect a few ports to be broken after I rebuild
the kernel and userland?  I guess I don't quite believe
that binary compatibility exists in the real world.

I know that updating the kernel without updating the
base userland can cause problems, so it seems like I
should rebuild all my ports.

If there is any chance that any port will be broken any
percent of the time, I'll just rebuild everything to be
safe.  Even though a port may appear to be okay without
recompilation, it could fail in an unexpected way at
some point.

But maybe this is not the case?

What are your experiences here?

--Matt