Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:53:03 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mix'n'match between packages an ports?

Hi,

Having run FreeBSD for some years historically I used the "build from
source"-method in order to install/upgrade ports - i.e. "make && make
install" and "portupgrade" respectively.

Since the package system has gotten much better of the years, I
decided to go for the binary way of installing/upgrading on recent
installations, i.e. "pkg ...". Now on one of these recent machines
I've got to install a port that needs some configuration when
building, so installing that particular program from source would be
better.

Here's my question: Is a "mix and match" between binary and
source-installation (pkg.. vs. "make / portupgrade") possible on the
same machine, or is it one or the other?

Any experience with that? Caveats any?

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald