Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:27:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeff Kreska <jeff@kreska.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
Subject:   RE: install / boot last 3 gig of 25 gig drive

On 19-Jun-00 Jeff Kreska wrote:

> I think there is something wrong with the install prog.

Well, our geometry stuff isn't perfect, but part of that is do to the
poor design of PC hardware.

> 2 things to note:
>       The partition table is corrupt after a install. (even if I don't install
> anything and just go into the intaller's fdisk like screen and type "w".)

How do you know it is corrupt other than that it doesn't boot?

>       If I set the BSD partition active the system beeps at start up and says no
> Operating System.

You aren't using boot0, you are using /boot/mbr, which probably doesn't grok EDD,
and thus can't deal with 1024 cylinders.

> Are there specs for how to create a partition past the 1024 cyl?
> I would like to verify that the installer is writing the correct entries to
> the disk.

If you formatted this disk with Windows before installing BSD (or if it
came pre-formatted for example) then sysinstall got it right.