Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:44:37 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple CPUs in VirtualBox Guest still limited to one Host CPU core.

I have been running VirtualBox in headless mode for a while on my home
server.  Its just running a single VM with Windows 2011 HomeServer
(windows 2008 R2 based) as a file server  I never did notice as there is
very little CPU load that even though the guest is configured with 2
CPUs the load is never on more than 1 core of the 6 core AMD processor.

I only noticed this after being happy with performance and stability of
this setup, I migrated my laptop over to FreeBSD with VirtualBox to run
Windows 8 in a VM, (yes I still have to run Windows for some things at
work) however now that I am actually trying to do some interactive work
in the VM I noticed it was a bit sluggish.  And this is when I
discovered that the Intel Core i7 QUAD core CPU was cranking away on one
core while the others were sitting idle.  I had configured the VM with 4
CPUS to match those of the host, am I missing some setting?  Or is
VirtualBox limited to one thread when running on a FreeBSD host.

FreeBSD is running 9.1p4 compiled from source using Clang with
virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2 installed from ports, with the following options
set.

# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# Options for virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2
_OPTIONS_READ=virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2
_FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=DBUS DEBUG GUESTADDITIONS NLS PULSEAUDIO QT4
UDPTUNNEL VDE VNC WEBSERVICE X11
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GUESTADDITIONS