Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:52:28 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wildcard syntax in newsyslog.conf

--On Friday, December 10, 2004 09:03:47 AM -0500 Gerard Samuel
<fbsd-questions@trini0.org> wrote:

> Is it possible to use wildcards in newsyslog.conf?
> For example, my current apache setup, I have a few virtual hosts
> logging into their own file.
> And instead of specifying each file in newsyslog.conf, Im trying ->
> /var/log/httpd-*.log    root:wheel      640  1     *    @T00  B
> /var/run/httpd.run

man newsyslog(8)

G       indicates that the specified logfile_name is a shell pattern, and
that newsyslog should archive all filenames matching that pattern, using
the other options specified on this line.  See glob(3) for details on
syntax and matching rules.

The short answer is yes, *if* you use the "G" flag.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member