Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:55:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 63016 for review

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Change 63016 by peter@peter_melody on 2004/10/11 21:26:18
>
> 	Make the i386 sysctl binary work on amd64.  This covers
> 	most of the visible fields.  Things like kern.proc.* and the
> 	netstat structs are a nightmare.  I think I'm going to cry.

I wonder if it would make sense to convert 32-bit 6.x to use 64-bit-happy
datastructures for the xfoo versions of the structures.  We go through an
externalization stage for all x structures anyway, and likely bzero() the
structure, so 32-bit binaries would truncate the kernel values, which
result in often useful numbers.  Byte order might or might not be an
issue, I suppose.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research