Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:18:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Dmitry Kolosov <onyx@z-up.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Battery charge limiting

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Dmitry Kolosov wrote:
 > Is there a way to limit maximum battery charge level in FreeBSD?
 > As for common notebook battery usage recommendations - the best way to prolong
 > your battery life is to install and use software (available on windows), that
 > limits maximum charge level on about 80%, not giving battery to charge full.
 > so, it possible software-way, depending on (?) battery's controller.

I've never heard of such a theory as limiting charge to prolong battery
life, not with Lithium Ion batteries anyway; nor have I ever seen any
such as a BIOS option.  'Common' on which brand/s of notebooks?

Can you provide any links to articles discussing this?

I don't think control over a notebook's charging is possible in FreeBSD;
this is usually managed by an Embedded Controller and ACPI merely passes
on the the states reported by that and by the battery itself.

cheers, Ian