Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:19:25 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: "3.2-RELEASE #0" crashed

Greg Lehey wrote:

> You can't in this point.  You need to enable dumping.  Set dumpdev
> in /etc/rc.conf to the name of a swap partition which is at least the
> size of physical memory.  For example,
>
>   dumpdev=/dev/wd0b
>
> This will cause the system to write the dump when it crashes.

Or at least, it should do. My system hasn't been able to dump core on
any of its recent panics, which makes debugging rather hard (though I'm
currently suspecting a faulty CPU -- it's crashing more since I replaced
the last one, which died). Although all the panics have been in the same
place -- various parts of the FFS code.

Is some part of my setup wrong?

ben@scientia:~$ grep dumpdev /etc/rc.conf
dumpdev="/dev/wd2s4b"
ben@scientia:~$ swapinfo
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd2s4b    160650        0   160522     0%    Interleaved
ben@scientia:~$

It always tries to dump core, but fails with some error which I don't
recall (I normally just write down the panic message and any other info
like "fs = /usr".)

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and