Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:04:06 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Kees Plonsz <kees@jeremino.homeunix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are people singing there postings on this mailling list ?

Kees Plonsz <kees@jeremino.homeunix.net> wrote:

> Is is so important to know that the question or answer came from
> that person ? I don't think so.
> Even if it were so, for me it is too much trouble to import every key
> into my key-database from a key-server.
> On the other hand, those who aren't able to read singed messages
> are confronted with a lot of carbage tekst wich makes the posting
> harder to read.
> We don't send postings in .html for that same reason.
>
> Let me hear your opinion about this......

There have been occasional incidents of impersonation for the purpose
of defaming character.

While I'm not Theo deRadtt, and therefore not a huge target for such
activities, I can't blame anyone for signing every single message they
send, so they establish a pattern that can later prove which messages
were truely theirs.

With regards to your mail program issues:  Digisigs don't use very many
bytes, and most modern MUAs will display a signed message cleanly.  Even
those that don't still allow the message to be read.

Considering the number of "identity thefts" that occur every year, I
believe digisigs are a necessary protective evil that we'd best get
used to.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies