Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:33:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to add a scsi tape after boot ? Rescan of scsi bus ?

> Hi !
>
> I'm used to power down my external tape, because the fan's are a bit
> loud. But FreeBSD can't recognize the tape, if it wasn't ,on' while
> booting.
>
> On SunOS 4 the scsi tape driver does an inquiry as soon as you write
> onto the tape device.
>
> SunOS5 with it's dynamically kernel driver allows you to rescan the
> systems devices with a ,drvconfig' command, which scans the hardware.
>
> Is there a utility in FreeBSD-current, which causes a tape to be
> recognizes after booting ?
>
> I hardwired my scsi devices, but that didn't help.
>
> controller	ahc0
> controller	scbus0 at ahc0
> disk		sd0 at scbus0 target 0
> disk		sd1 at scbus0 target 1
> tape		st0 at scbus0 target 4
> device		cd0 at scbus0 target 6
>
> Would be nice, if someone could help me.

Yes, it would be nice if one had a kind of generic 'super-scsi' device,
with which it would be possible to rescan the SCSI bus.

As far as I remember such a beast was planned long time ago...

I would need it for my MO drive which is turned off most of the time.
Or for my CD-R burner which sometimes gives an ioctl error message and
where the only solution up to now is to reboot.....

Robert