Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:15:53 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        bcohen@bpecreative.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

I wanted to take a moment to point interested parties in the direction
of NetGear and other,
similar companies producing trivial firewalls for trivial amounts.

I acquired a NetGear RT314 recently, and after a few days of
experimenting, had it operating
without problems. The unit cost about $140, at CompUSA. A slightly
cheaper RT311 is also
available; the RT311 does not have four ports, only one port, on the
'in' side.

Basically, what this device does is replace your DSL-connected single PC
with a router that
provides equivalent functionality, for either DSL or cable modems
(RoadRunner only). Once
it is configured, it allows all of your computers to share the DSL
connection, insulating them
with NAT.

It is, as others have noted, also a trivial firewall. Configurable
options include the subnet in
use, the number of DHCP clients you want to serve addresses to from this
device, which
internal address to redirect port 80 or port 23 connection attempts to,
syslog functionality,
and the ability to create up to eight special rules for additional
functionality - for instance,
ssh would need to be explicitly permitted before you could use it to
access systems inside
your perimeter.

I'm not saying that this should replace the idea of a UNIX-based
firewall but it is an excellent
and cost-effective choke point, behind which a firewall can be placed,
while - at least with
the RT314 - you still have the ability to sample traffic more directly,
if you care to, via one of
the additional ports.

I've heard others describe this as 'defense in depth' but I proposed
this sort of scheme back
in, um, 1992 or 1993, on the firewalls-digest mailing list ... and was
largely ignored, because
at that time everyone thought that firewalls were the ultimate defense
... the idea of buggy
firmware seemed inconceivable, at the time, to most administrators.

There are definite tradeoffs between additional security hardware and
software; the more
things there are to administer, the more details there are to overlook.
The problem is analogous
to that of having your house secured by a series of doors with a series
of locks, all by different
manufacturers; the more locks, the greater the probability of a lost
key, stuck lock, etc ... but,
the more security, also.

I have not even bothered to look at Black Ice. Anything that has to rely
on marketing to get my
attention ... just lost my attention. I'm an engineer ... not a teenager
with a rack of cyberpunk
paperbacks above my bed.

(That was last decade. :-)

(Note that NetGear doesn't advertise their box as a firewall or anything
snazzy; it's a piece of
networking equipment with more functionality than you can shake a SIMM
at.)

-- richard

Bob Cohen wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> Thanks for the interesting and informative discussion about
> firewalls and site cracking.  Though much of it went over my
> head, as I am a web designer type, you have convinced me
> that the best course of action will be to set up a
> router/gateway w/FreeBSD.  Mine is a cable connection, will
> the cheat sheets provide me a good start?  How can I learn
> enough to build a solid firewall without spending all my
> waking time, and therefore my billing time?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Cohen
> b.p.e.Creative

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA