Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:26:10 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        kjwolf@seismic.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/15961: No keyboard import possible after floppy drive error -- a brain-damaged workaround

On 1/7/00, 12:16:13 PM, kjwolf@seismic.de wrote regarding i386/15961:
No keyboard import possible after floppy drive error:

> >Number:         15961
> >Category:       i386
> >Synopsis:       System allows no keyboard input after floppy drive
error
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       serious
> >Environment:

> PII-300 96MB

> After erroneously having mounted a write-protected floppy without -r
> option (i.e. read-writable), a write attempt on the floppy results in
> the system ignoring keyboard input (w/o any further I/O activity),
even
> Ctrl-Alt-Del (as explicitly allowed in the kernel config). The system
> didn't appear to hang as a whole; one could switch between the virtual=

> consoles.

> Error messages:

> Jan  7 11:57:24 solling /kernel: fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 284
(ST0
40<abnrml> ST1 2<write_protect> ST2 0 cyl 7 hd 1 sec 15)
> Jan  7 11:57:24 solling /kernel: fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 1282
(ST0
40<abnrml> ST1 2<write_protect> ST2 0 cyl 35 hd 1 sec 5)

> >How-To-Repeat:

> Mount a write protected floppy writable and write on it.

> >Fix:
>
> Unknown.

Dear readers,

please pardon my plain writing; the nature of my workaround requires
it :-))

I experience an analogous problem on my box, a Pentium III
450 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, running FreeBSD 3.3 Release.

When I try to mount a write-protected diskette (no read-only option
specified), I get similar errors. The errors are repeated again and
again: the OS tries to access the floppy disk *continually*, every few
seconds.

Brain-damaged workaround: while the OS is not trying to access the
diskette, take it off; insert any NON-write-protected floppy. The
repeated access operations will come to an end; the OS will no longer
complain; hitting "Enter" (or "Return") will give you back the
console.

Best regards,
Salvo

N.B. myjokingdomain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me