Date:      Sun, 2 May 2004 23:41:47 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Markie <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: Laptop ACPI question

> Actually, ACPI will greatly improve battery life soon, but not yet. The
> bits and pieces are being fed into CURRENT and I suspect that SpeedStep
> support will be coming soon.

Cool! I always wondered what was "missing", since I get about 50% longer
battery life in Windows than in FreeBSD on my laptop (T40p).

I read somewhere that someone mentioned something about PCI power save
modes... would this be part of SpeedStep? Will SpeedStep support bring power
consumption to the levels one gets in Windows, or is there additional power
saving features on modern laptops that need to be supported?

(I'm asking even though it's not relevant to the original question, since you
seem to know a lot about this stuff, and I haven't found much on this
googling around.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org