Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:26:32 -0800
From:      "Briggs, Jeremy M" <BriggsJM@corp.earthlink.net>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NATD

Dear sir or madam,

	I am attempting to use FreeBSD as an internet gateway; natd is the
routing deamon I am attempting to use.  My internet connection is a satalite
connection, which connects the the FreeBSD machine via Ethernet; the
internet connection requires no configuration of any kind.  The FreeBSD
machine is a P1 - 166MHz MMX w/ 16MB Simm, 2 DLink 10BaseT Ethernet cards
recognized as ed1 (internet) and ed2 (intranet, connected to hub), and a
generic 4MB video card.
	The FreeBSD machine, is able to ping all machines on the LAN, and is
able to access the internet just fine; inversely, all machines on the lan
are able to ping the FreeBSD machine.  IP's on the lan are 192.168.x .  NATD
is enabled and loads with BSD,
	When attempting to ping out the to internet, using the BSD machine
as a gateway, from another machine on the network, packets are transmitted
to the internet each time a ping is sent however no packets are ever
recieved from the internet.  All pings time out except if they are initiated
from the FreeBSD box.  What do you suggest?  What should I check?

On a side note, I think the packets are being aliased incorrectly, however I
am not sure how to check this or how to correct this if this is the problem.

Sincerely Confused,
Jeremy Briggs