Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:29:29 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        "Anthony C. Chavez" <acc@anthonychavez.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Indecisiveness and Domain registrations

Anthony C. Chavez wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:56:04AM -0600, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:
>
>>It looks like a frenzy in the -advocacy list.  It appears that many
>>people want to take on a leadership type role - but not everyone can do
>>that.
>

> I wouldn't quite call it a frenzy.  I've seen much longer, heated
> threads with many more participants. :-)

Usually on -chat :)

> Now, not to discourage you, but I think you should know that hosting
> news about BSD-related advocacy events would be a natural extension for
> Daemon News as well.  Having bsdevents could have the benefit of some
> good, healthy competition, so I'm not opposed to it.

bsdevents.org is not a "news" site like daemonnews. It is for all *BSD
related events that are happening around  the world, and would have
areas to sign up to offer help for those events, and post pictures,
dates and times of the upcoming events, etc.

>>For those who have volunteered to complete things on the To Do list,
>>let's decide on due dates.  If you don't complete it by that date, then
>>we need to know why, and if you need more help to complete the task.
>

> Good idea.  Unfortunately, I am only going to be able to contribute what
> I can whenever I can.  I, like many others, have other things to
> address, such as work, other projects, etc.  So I, for one, cannot
> commit to any deadlines.
>
> However, it is my intention to put together a "to do" list for
> advocacy.daemonnews.org of our own, perhaps borrowing a lot of the
> points from the list that was submitted to freebsd-advocacy.

Sounds like you are duplicating work here, but makes no difference to
me.  I'm specifically talking about deadlines for the official -advocacy
group, not for daemonnews.  I'm just saying the person who "leads"
should also be able to set some goals.  No one here is going to quit
their jobs to work full time on freebsd advocacy, and having a goal is
far from asking that.

>>Who is willing to take a leadership role in this, and guide the rest to
>>goals?  Let me remind those who would like to, that this could be a
>>somewhat time consuming task.
>

> I've stepped forth to lead the charge to address the lack of advocacy
> materials---something I've wanted to do for ~years~ now, which is why I
> feel I should be the one to lead it.  I realize that it will be time
> consuming, and again, I cannot commit to deadlines.  I can promise,
> however, that it will be done.  I can't let things sit idly by and rot
> away (unless of course it's my personal Web site). :-)

This is my point exactly - you've wanted to do it for years, and never
done it - no big deal, but not a good start for a leader who doesn't
want any deadlines for goals.  Deadlines don't mean anyone will end up
dead or fired, they just help keep people focused..

Oh well, not for me to decide, I'll just go back to -doc work and -www work.

Eric