Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:40:36 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel-for-Gateway2000 10/100 fxp problems

Vaguely remember someone else having problems with Gateway 2000 brand
Intel Etherexpress 10/100 "clones" using the 82559 but searching the
mail archives at http://www.freebsd.org/search failed to turn up the
hits I was looking for. And now I have problems with same.

Bought (4) of these cards for a reasonable price. Reasonable if they
work. Not reasonable for dust collectors.

The problem is the cards are recognized and initialized. Everything is
perfect. Except they can't hear a thing off the wire. Or if they do
they don't communicate it back to FreeBSD. Can watch the NIC LED and
hub LED flash when emitting pings, and the target machine's NIC flash
as well (forgot, that might not be a good test as its on a hub not
switch).

dmesg seems happy:

fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0xdc80-0xdcbf mem 0xff000000-0xff0f
ffff,0xff100000-0xff100fff irq 11 at device 15.0 on pci0
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:03:47:0c:64:44
inphy0: <i82555 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
inphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

ifconfig lists correct media and claims "status: active".

Systems are Dell Optiplex GXa's. Worried more about onboard xl0's
working, but at the moment that's the only NIC which works. Have moved
the Intel NICs to each and every PCI slot one at a time.

I don't have Windows to know if they work with that.

Is there something goofy going on such as this card such as irq-A/B or
??? Something simple? Maybe something to do with PnP?

While I'm testing my luck, if I get them working, anyone know how to
disable the "Intel network boot thingie 2.6 initiallizing" message at
startup?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net