Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need some advice on a freebsd solution

yeah, what you said. :)

> Does the DOS program:
>
>      *  Use any external devices at all?
>      *  Use graphics?
>
> If neither of this are true, it might be a perfect candidate for Bochs.
>
>         http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
>         http://bochs.sourceforge.net/doc/docbook/alldocs.html
>         http://bochs.sourceforge.net/doc/docbook/user/x192.htm
>
> (By the way, Bochs can print and use the network just fine, but serial
> devices
> are still pretty much not possible yet.  And, of course, Bochs is free,
> and
> easy to install from the ports collection: /usr/ports/emulators/bochs.)

you're the second person who's suggested bochs.  i'm doing some reading on
it... however, the documentation could use a little more detail, at least
for me with more extensive examples.

> What I'd do is create some sort of skeleton directory with all the
> configuration files, and for each user, copy the necessary files (using
> symbolic links for files they shouldn't have to modify), give each one
> their
> own 10MB diskfile or so with a copy of the application on it, and that
> should
> work okay, PROVIDED THEY DON'T SHARE DATA.  If they share data, that's a
> whole
> 'nother problem (you'll probably want *those* people to use the same
> login so
> they're running the same Bochs machine).  Then you just start up Bochs
> in each
> user's .login file, and you should be good to go.

that won't be a problem... i can create separate directories and in each
directory i'll have a separate copy of this dos application.

the good thing is that data will not be shared.  every client who accesses
the server will have independant access from any other client.

is there some special scripting that will be needed to terminate the SSH
session when the client exits from the DOS application?

> Oh.  You'll need a copy of DOS to install on the disk as well.
>
> If the program uses graphics, though (or perhaps even screen
> addressing), you
> might have to do all this over X11 for this to be feasible.

hmmm... see, i always thought that bochs would be a total dos emulator.
so a separate version of dos will be required... hmmm... any dos will do
right?

as for graphics... can you please define dos graphics?  does this mean
ASCI graphics...

this dos application runs as a menu system... does this count as a
graphical interface?

> | The problem is that this is waaay beyond my scope.  My client doesn't
> want
> | something too complicated, time consuming, or expensive.
>
> Well, I think we're closer to the solution here.  I suspect Bochs might
> be the
> right solution, provided the program doesn't generate graphics or use a
> serial
> device or something like that.

does bochs have a newsgroup as effictive as this one incase i come into
problems?

> You may have to beef up the RAM in the FreeBSD box if it's going to be
> running
> a number of copies of Bochs.  You'll probably need at least a 2GB disk
> (larger
> if you have a number of clients---remember, each one is going to be
> sucking up
> 10-20MB for their "diskspace").

this can be done... i was thinking of a system with at least 512mb and a
30gb drive...

the system will might also be used for other things as well.