Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:00:07 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Failed attempt to boot a (non-debug) head -r339076 on an old PowerMac G5 "Quad Core" (built via devel/powerpc64-gcc): Waking up CPU 1

[kern.smp.disabled=3D1 is confirmed to enable booting
my head -r339076 build on teh "Quad Core", much like
the 11.2 reports for "2MHz dual-core".]

<freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> [I finally have access to old PowerMacs again. The below
>> is based on my environment for experimenting with building
>> via more modern C/C++ compilers with matching toolchains.
>> The build here was via a cross build from amd64 via
>> devel/powerpc64-gcc .]
>>=20
>> When I attempt to boot the PowerMac G5 "Quad Core"
>> with my head -r339076 build it gets as far a reporting
>> (based on boot -v output):
>>=20
>> . . .
>> ada0: (I'll not list the 5 ada0: lines)
>> GEOM: new disk cd0
>> GEOM: new disk ada0
>> Adding CPU 0, hwref=3Dff89d680, awake=3D1
>> Waking up CPU 1 (dev=3Dff89eb70)
>>=20
>> That is the last of the output. After a while the fans
>> wind up. (The text is hand translated from a picture
>> of the screen.)
>>=20
>> Without the "boot -v" the "ada0:" lines are the last to
>> show.
>>=20
>> The build is a non-debug build (with symbols). I've
>> not tried a debug kernel build yet. It may be a while
>> before I will get to. Nor have I tried a gcc 4.2.1
>> based build yet.
>>=20
>> At this point I do not have a clue what is going on.
>> This early in the boot I'm not sure how or if I'll
>> get a clue. (I've never had serial console access
>> on the old PowerMac's, which contributes to the messy
>> context.)
>>=20
>> I do have in place in the variation used of src.conf:
>> LOADER_DEFAULT_INTERP=3D4th
>>=20
>> The PowerMac G5 used does boot fine with the boot disk
>> I had experimented with back in May (or before).
> Does it boot when you disable SMP by adding
> kern.smp.disabled=3D1
> to /boot/loader.conf
>=20
> This turned a non-booting/hanging up dual CPU G5 into a
> very stable (single core) machine...

Sure enough, kern.smp.disabled=3D1 lets my -r339076
devel/powerpc64-gcc based build boot on the G5
"Quad Core".

Unfortunately I jumped from -r333594 (May-13) to
-r339076 so I can not well narrow the range for
when things changed beyond that.

I see that the original report was for 11.2,
while I'm using head. Also that Justin reported
seeing the problem on a 2GHz dual-core too (on
11.x I assume).

So we have . . .

2GHz dual-core (11.2)
2.5 GHz "Quad Core" (2 dual-core processors) (head)

as contexts so far, not that the internal issue
needs to be the same for the two, but it might be.

I wonder if 11 at, say, -r333583 (May-13) might
be before its problem. If so, it might be easier
for someone using 11.x variants to find when
it broke in 11 than to do so for head, presuming
the problem is common.

Is there a bugzilla for this?

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard