Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:46:26 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Michael Sperber <sperber@deinprogramm.de>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get 11.0-RELEASE to boot on Banana PI M3

On Fri, 2016-11-25 at 09:07 -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

> > > Be SURE to ignore that extra power wire!??If your USB/Serial
> > > adapter
> > > also has
> > > a power wire DO NOT CONNECT IT.??Many of these embeded boards
> > > provide
> > > a power
> > > pin with the serial interface that can be used to power something
> > > external,
> > > like a level shifter, and many of the USB/Serial adapters also
> > > bring
> > > out the
> > > USB 5V rail on a wire.??DO NOT CONNECT THE TWO!?
> > >
> > Ummm... say what?
> >
> > I power my rpi boards using the 5v power from the USB serial
> > adapter
> > connected to the 5v pin on the rpi header. ?I can't imagine any
> > reason
> > not to.
> You either have a USB port wiling to supply more than the 500mA
> from the standard, or are running your RPI under very light load.
> This is NOT the recomended path to power a RPI, and if the RPI is
> getting power from the micro usb port your connecting 2 power
> supplies in parallel, which is bad.

And why exactly is two sources of +5v a problem (not that I said I was
doing that, but I have at times done that, and it works just fine)?

> If you plub a USB device into your RPI that draws significant
> current it well probably reboot due to power loss.
>
> For information on how much power your PI wants/needs:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs
> >

> > > That being said, there are many aftermarket USB/Serial cables
> > > avaliable,
> > > usually a 3.3V version of these well work everywhere as long as
> > > it
> > > has
> > > 5V tolerent inputs, which most of the newer ones do, check the
> > > specs
> > > from the vendor.??3.3V outputs well satisfy the input
> > > requirements of
> > > a 5V TTL/CMOS circuit and not cause it problems, the opposite is
> > > not
> > > always true.
> > >
> > Usb serial adapter based on Prolific chipsets are NOT 5v tolerant.
> > ?Those based on FTDI chips are. ?Those are the two big names in
> > usb-
> > serial chips, but there are others out there too; you have to check
> > the
> > datasheet to be sure.
> From my read of the Prolific data sheet that is not clear, they
> specify
> 3.3v and 3.3v 5v tolerent, but then they do not clearly state which
> pins are 3.3v and which are 3.3v+5v tolerent.   I'll take your word
> that they don't like 5V on the serial rx pin.

They are actually very clear that of the IO pins, only the RESET_N pin
is 5v tolerant.

> > > Watch your lead length and wire sizes if you need to do anything
> > > funny
> > > to get this connected, capacitive loading of any kind on this
> > > type of
> > > signal can cause character loss, especially at speeds above 9600
> > > baud.
> > >
> > Ummm... that sounds pretty bogus too, considering that I've run
> > ftdi
> > chips at 12mbps using breadboards with a rat's nest of wiring to
> > carry
> > the comms signals to other boards.
> Iout of most of these chips is 4mA,  you are welcome to do the RC
> calculations.  You can often get away with amazingly poor setups,
> then suddenly get bitten by what looks to be just fine but drops
> characters.
>
> Full level RS-232 specifies cable length of 50ft at 19200, your
> not going to get away with that using CMOS 4mA drivers unless
> you have very low loss cable.

Nice introduction of a red herring.  Who said anything about 50 foot
cables?  Oh wait... you did.  Only you.

-- Ian