Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:56:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <arch@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ugliness in rc.* scripts

[From address modified because I don't want every message in this
thread to end up in my personal mailbox.  I'll read them in the
list, thank you very much.]

In article <20020821180344.GB33546@starjuice.net>,
Sheldon Hearn  <sheldonh@starjuice.net> wrote:

> I don't think the ugliness involved in the rc scripts justifies any of
> the proposed hack-arounds yet.
[...]
> But I digress.  I don't think the ugliness is ugly enough.

I agree, but I'd take it one step further.  Why do we have to
support case-insensitive matching of words like YES and NO at
all?  Just proclaim that from now on, keywords in /etc/rc.conf
have to be upper-case.  Practically everything else in Unix is
case-sensitive -- why not the rc.conf knobs?  Note also that most
of rc.conf is *already* case-sensitive.  If you put something like
"MoUsEd_ENAble=YES" in your rc.conf file, it will do exactly nothing.

John
--
  John Polstra