Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:11:39 +0100
From:      pb@fasterix.frmug.org (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   the sound driver and the OPTi931 chip

Has anyone on the list managed to use the -current sound driver
with an OPTi931-based ISA PnP card named ExpertColor (that's the
name of the maker, not the card :-) ?

It can be configured to either be Sound Blaster or Windows Sound System
compatible. It also contains (or rather, emulates) a MPU-401 MIDI chip
and a Yamaha OPL-3.

It runs fine under DOS and Windows, in either mode.

>From comments in isa/sound/ad1848.c it looks like the chip is supported
by the sound drivers. But FreeBSD only recognizes the MPU and the OPL3
when booting, never the MSS or SB part. I tried everyting: with
and without PnP init from the BIOS, with and without previous booting
under Windoze or DOS.

I also tried the pnp config to change the ports of the various logical
devices gathered from pnpinfo, to no avail.

It is the only PnP card in my system so it's not a weird PnP conflict.

It might be that the card is looking for some special init flags
to determine with which standard (mss or sb) it should be
compatible. Is there any way to find these, other than by disassembling
the DOS driver (I began this, but I only have DOS debug to work with...)?

Or maybe there's just some stupid thing I forgot to configure.
Sorry I can't post my kernel config right there, I don't have my machine
handy at the moment. It basically includes the following drivers, if
I remember well. In a word, everything that seemed relevant:

	snd0
	mss0
	sb0
	[ one of the others sb drivers, sbxvi I believe ]
	opl0
	mpu0

The sb driver issues a warning that sb_reset failed. The mss driver
says that the card wasn't found (from a few printfs I activated in the
ad1848 driver, it looks like it only reads FFs from the IO ports the
card is configured for).
--
Pierre Beyssac        pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher