Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 17:32:55 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

[...]

>I personally feel that many of these people (the ones who are
>saying they have been having random reboots) are not being attacked in
>anyway but rather are having their machines overloaded and rebooting.
>
>Mike

I am one of the people that think their 3.1 machine got rebooted.  Can't
say for sure if I'm being attacked or not (don't know why anyone would want
to crash my box), but my load averages are very rarely over 1.25.  The only
thing that uses any real CPU time is RC5-64 and PPP.  CPU typically >97%
nice(rc5).

Suffice to say, I don't think this qualifies as 'overloaded'. :)

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com