Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:04:53 -0700
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions...

> The most signifigant changes that I can think of are:
> SMP primatives
> KSE
> FFS Snapshots
> Cardbus

Other than KSE (which I've only seen lately and so I don't
know what it is) SMP should be the only thing that deeply
affects the stack, at least to my currently limited knowledge.

> Hopefully, there's nothing inherently bad with it that will make it
> too difficult.

Well, no more difficult than the current network stack.  The number
of global variables (at least when I was looking at the old 4.4 BSD Lite
code) is not insignificant.  Also, have y'all removed the spl() code
locks (ala BSD/OS) yet?

> Why the sudden interest?

I'm working up a proposal for Addison/Wesley to rework/rewrite the
Stevens books (Volume I and II) and of course for Volume II this stuff
is all quite important since I intend to use the FreeBSD code base
as the basis for it.  I want to find out what the trajectory of the code is
so I can decide which version to put in the book.  I'm hoping that it
will be 5.0 (or 5.something) so that by the time that code base is shipped
(November 2002) the book won't be too far behind it.

Thanks,
George