Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:24:14 -0800
From:      Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
To:        John Jasen <jjasen@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unexplained latency, interrupt spikes and loss of throughput on FreeBSD router/firewall system

On 1/15/20 6:55 AM, John Jasen wrote:
> Executive summary:
>
> Periodically, load will spike on network interrupts on one of our
> firewalls. Latency will quickly climb to the point that things are
> unresponsive, sessions will timeout, and bandwidth will plummet.

Is this with 9000 MTU?  Can you please post "netstat -m" from this
system?  Assuming this is 9000 MTU, try setting this in
/boot/loader.conf and reboot:

hw.cxgbe.largest_rx_cluster=4096

> We do not see increases in ethernet pause frames, drops, errors, or
> anything else like that from the system.

This part is strange.  The incoming frames are either being dropped
(errors or overflows) or getting throttled via pause frames.  I'd have
expected "netstat -dI <ifnet>" to show errors or drops or "sysctl dev.cc
dev.cxl | grep pause" to show some activity.  Can you please double check?

Regards,
Navdeep