Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:53:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        "Daniel P. Wright" <dani@dpwright.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard cutting off soon after launching X

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:03:05 -0600 (MDT)
> Hi,
>
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>
>>> Enable moused in rc.conf and the following from xorg.conf helped me
>>> this time:
>>>
>>> 	Option	"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"	#
>
>> The comment wrap there is very confusing.  But please stop using
>> AllowEmptyInput.  It was so misused that it has even been removed
>> from later versions of xorg.
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
>>
> I have read this before. But what else would you do when the line above
> solves the problem?

Personally, I would wonder why AutoAddDevices Off did not solve the
problem.  I've had more than a few people tell me that AEI worked for
them, and so there was no reason to try AutoAddDevices.  So far, no one
has reported that AEI worked but AutoAddDevices did not.

Failing that, I'd rebuild xorg-server with the HAL option disabled.  If
the desktop environment requires hald, it can still be run but will not
be used by xorg.

Which brings up another possibility: there could be something going on
with the input stream after xorg, some utility or part of a desktop
environment that has a bug that causes it to eat all keyboard events.
It might even be a portion of xorg that needs to be rebuilt.

>> There is an interaction with hald and moused that makes it worthwhile
>> lately for some users to run moused from rc.conf.  There may be a
>
> I wonder why.

Changes in the drivers, most likely.

>> similar interaction with kbdmux(4) or some other keyboard component
>> for keyboards.
>>
>> hald can be improved greatly by its absence.
>
> Isn't this the case on some Linux machines?

Many Linux systems have dumped hal for udev.