Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:22:58 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sed broken?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:09:45PM +0900, Motoyuki Konno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found that ports/devel/libtool and ports/devel/gmake are broken
> on today's FreeBSD-current.  I attached the error log to this mail.
> It seems that these problems caused by the recent changes (on Jul 21)
> to /usr/bin/sed.
>
> I tried to build ports/devel/libtool using old /usr/binsed
> (before Jul 21),  everything goes well.

Thanks for reporting this. I found an off-by-one error I introduced by
removing the trailing newline from the pattern space in the `y'
(transliterate) command. The last character of the pattern space was
never modified, because the code wrongly assumed a newline was there.

Here's an example of the broken behaviour:
$ echo oooo | sed 'y/o/O/'
OOOo

Good behaviour w/ fixed sed:
$ echo 'oooo' | sed 'y/o/O/'
OOOO

After applying the patch I'm about to commit, libtool 1.4d compiles fine.

Tim