Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Adam Stroud <adam@thegeeklord.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make.conf and USA_RESIDENT

--- Adam Stroud <adam@thegeeklord.com> wrote:

> I have seen references to a USA_RESIDENT make.conf
> entry.  However, I
> cannot find any reference to this variable in
> /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf, or the make.conf
> man page.  Does this
> setting still exist?  If so, is there are
> documentation for it?
>
> Thanks

I'm fairly certain this was in the good old days to
properly have the encumbered cryptography code built.
Since GAT and what not and other Illectual Property
agreements have been signed with the US and China most
notably I believe this code is no longer encumbered
with exportation restrictions and so the USA_RESIDENT
is no longer required. I believe this was in one of
the change logs for the system source, as I know I
read this. Maybe is was in the news log for
www.freebsd.org. However, I'm not certain where I read
this and when this changed.

It would be nice to have a definative answer on this
because people still suggest it is put into
make.conf...

I believe all the crptography code is built by default
now, however there are specific make options that
enable it.

brian