Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 21:20:41 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From:      Michael Tuchman <mft@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video Quandaries

I am at my wits end trying to figure out how my video card should be configured.  I have been to the XFree86 site,  read the Video Timings Howto, viewed questions from the SuSE Linux site about my card, copied down the modelines from when it was running under windows  98 - and at random times the screen blanks out with the infamous 'out of scan range'

Before I do a gratiutious dump of my /var/log/Xfree86.log.0, I should tell you a little bit about my machine and release version, and other such things.  Part of the problem is that I do not have the technical specifications for my hardware except for what I was able to pull down from the internet.

Moreover,my problem  seems dependent on usage patterms.  If I walk away from the screen for a few minutes, the display stays put.  If I'm doing more intensive internet usage, the screen goes blank at random times.   Under steady usage,  the waiting time to failure is approximately 5 minutes from the time startx is executed.

I am running release 5-2 CURRENT (Jan 11 2004).

My monitor is a Dell1025HTX  ultrascan, and according to the dell website support, takes horizontal refresh rate of 31-70 kHz and a Vertical refresh rate of 48-150 (although the standard monitor database shows 50-120 Hz).  My video card is an ELSA GLORIA XL, which apparently is a pretty decent 3D card.   I am using the glint driver to drive it.    Does anybody have any war stories about using this card with FREEBSD?  I have tried many combinations of modelines, default depth, and all with the same result.

I could with configuring modelines and nothing seems to help.   Part of the problem is that I am guessing my way through this process.  I don't really know what I have under the hood.   When I run a scanpci, it shows 3 different video devices.  Which should i be 'talking' to?

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x0a function 0x00: vendor 0x1048 device 0x8901
 Elsa AG  Device unknown

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x0a function 0x01: vendor 0x3d3d device 0x0003
 3DLabs GLINT Delta

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x0a function 0x02: vendor 0x3d3d device 0x0006
 3DLabs GLINT MX

I can't do much internet research until I get my graphics interface stablized. (Actually, that's not completely true, as I can use lynx if i absolutely have to).

I hope somebody could privately email me if they have any insight.  I don't like to just dump output to mailing lists except on request - but I will provide more technical data upon request.

mft at mindspring dot com

Michael