Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:59:48 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        shamroc@tiac.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem compatability

shamrock writes:
> on the bsd handbook there isnt any information related to to setting up
> modem. i have bith a internal 14.4 standard modem (which works right off
> a fresh install) and a internal 56K that freezes ppp when i try to
> manually dial using term. is there any documentation of getting 56k's to
> work under freebsd?

Both modems are detected by the kernel? The 56k modem doesn't say
"winmodem" anywhere in its docs? You are not trying to share IRQ's or
I/O addresses with anything else? Snip the dmesg output for sio,
something like this:

% dmesg | grep sio
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A