Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:34:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Mr.Blue" <blue@niftynet.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Resetting the root password (was: I KILLED IT!)

On Saturday, 17 October 1998 at  2:46:03 +0000, Mr.Blue wrote:
> To make a long story short I just changed my password and my root
> password... then i lost the note book i wrote them down on.... i realized
> this when it asked me for my login... so i hit the switch to boot in
> single user mode thinking i could just change the root pass there then it
> only mounted my root partition in read only mode... i tryed a boot floppy
> but the only CD i have is for 2.2.5 and I'm running 2.2.6. can any one
> help!

Now you wish you had bought "The Complete FreeBSD", don't you?  From
the text version,

  If you do manage to lose the root password, all may not be lost.
  Reboot the machine to single user mode (see page 191), and enter:

  # mount -u /             mount root file system read/write
  # passwd root            change the password for root
  Enter new password:
  Enter password again:
  # ^D                enter ctrl-D to continue with startup

  Note that you should explicitly state the name root: in single user
  mode, the system doesn't have the concept of user IDs.

Greg