Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:18:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-19990311-SNAP bootblock install weirdness

Hi,

   Just an install report from the field....

   I did a new install of 4.0-19990311-SNAP onto a system that
was previously running 3.0-19991105-SNAP. The 3.0 system was
using the old boot blocks.

   The 4.0 install was via ftp, and worked without a problem.
However, upon rebooting the machine, it would not boot. The 2nd
stage boot loader had not been installed. The only way to boot
was to type in /boot/loader and it would then boot up.

   Upon determining this was the problem, I then ran:

   fdisk -b    to rewrite the sector 0 boot code.

   This had no effect.

   I then ran:

   boot0cfg -B

   this had no effect.

   Finally, I tried:

   disklabel -B da0

   which also had no effect.

   I re-installed the 4.0 system from scratch again thinking I
must have really messed something up. No effect, still no normal
boot. Out of frustration I ran the following:

   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512 count=2048

   to wipe out the front-end of the boot disk.  I then re-installed
the 4.0 system a 3rd time and it now boots normally. I am unable to
explain why this happened, but hope that someone with more experience
with the sysinstall/boot code can shed some light on it.

   An additional item with respect to sysinstall. I select [All]
of the distributions to install, which includes compat22. Well,
compat22 is not built by the 4.0 system. Looking at the last
snap on ftp.freebsd.org (4.0-19990211-SNAP) shows that compat22 is:

 lrwxrwxrwx  1 2035  207     19 Feb 12 04:09 compat22 -> ../current/compat22

   Could someone explain why this isn't built at 4.0, or what is going
on with it?  (I build my own -SNAP releases daily, and the latest 4.0
builds are looking really stable, at least of uniprocessor systems).

   Comments, critiques, and helpful hints appreciated!

Thanks!
John