Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:27:59 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > > True, but if you could do a mini-probe (as the current code attempts to
> > > do), then it should work.  However, somehow things aren't yet 'enough'
> > > alive when we call the mini-probe, so it doesn't work.
> >
> > Um, "mini-probe"?  ie. "is what used to be there still there?"
>
> Yep.  epinit(slot, int), where the int says 'is this the first time for
> this device'.  If the second parameter is 0, then it does a
> 'mini-probe'.

Not good enough.  I take one card out and replace with a
similar-but-different one (eg. two 3c589's, two NE2000's, etc.)  The
miniprobe will say "yes, it's the same", even though it's not.

Yes, I'm being pathalogial about this. 8)

> > > This is what the code that's enabled by apm_pccard_resume does (sort
> > > of).  Except that it fakes both remove/insertion at resume time.  The
> > > bad thing is that it requires that the pccard daemon be running for the
> > > 'insertion' to be correctly done.
> >
> > Natch; it has to rummage the database somehow.  How else would you get
> > at this information?
>
> It's already all saved in the kernel now from when the card was
> initially inserted.

Only if the miniprobe succeeds.  If it fails, you still need pccardd to
handle a possible new device.  I appreciate that the miniprobe is meant
as a speed optimisation; I'm just not sure it's robust enough.

mike