Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:24:38 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with linux ports

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Tue, 20 Nov 2007 =20
22:32:17 -0500):

> I sam working to try getting a current flash working, and I found
> something that seems screwy.  I've had pr0blems with the way that ports
> do/don't respect LOCALBASE/X11BASE so far, and while I guess I was
> wrong, I think I would ask someone else to check this ... the
> www/linux-firefox-devel (and probably the linux-firefox) ports sticks
> its large selection of shared libs intoa subdir named firefox-devel,
> but instead of this going into /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib like I was
> expecting, its being stuck into /usr/local/lib.  The files aren't bsd
> llibs, they're SYSV libs, so i dono't think that the linux ldconfig
> should go hunting over there.

And ldconfig will not hunt there, as it has to be run chrooted to =20
LINUXBASE (linux ldconfig can chroot himself).

> I think it's installing in the wrong spot.  So I can continue with my
> work on the Adobe stuff, I'm going to fix my stuff here anyhow.  Let me
> know if I'm right, ok?  I'd file the PR if you wanted, I just want
> someone to verify this as wrong.

Firefox is special, and linux emulation is special too, so the end =20
result is extra special.

Firefox will look by himself into those directories, no need to ldconfig the=
m.

For the linux ports I suggest to not rely on your old knowledge about =20
it. I've redesigned the behavior a little bit (e.g., there's a fall =20
through to some FreeBSD config files by either symlinking to the right =20
path, or by a direct "fall trough: to the FreeBSD files).

In general, infrastructure ports should go to LINUXBASE, and =20
application ports to LOCALBASE (we don't really have X11BASE in the =20
ports anymore since some months). If an application does install =20
generic infrastructure things, it should be split up so that it fits =20
the above description. If this is not possible (or too hard), we need =20
to find another solution. If it doesn't conflict with native ports =20
(for example if the infrastructure can not be used in general, as it =20
is not pick up by e.g. the native gcc or run time linker), we can =20
install it in LOCALBASE. A cleaner solution would be to put it into =20
LINUXBASE and install just a wrapper script into LOCALBASE which calls =20
the /comapt/linux/... binary. This is up to the port maintainer (he =20
can put a CONFLICTS line into the port), and maybe general consensus. =20
I haven't looked at the linux-firefox* ports, so I can't tell if it =20
would be an improvement to move it to LINUXBASE or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
The answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is...

=09Four day work week,
=09Two ply toilet paper!

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137