Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:44:45 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Vincent Poy wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95.970728161113.3844t-100000@mail.MCESTATE.COM>:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> =)I think you are describing the symptom, not the problem.
> =)
> =)This looks very much like a system which was broken into and then
> =)trojan'd to allow easier, more invisible access.  How do you know,
> =)for example, that your telnetd is really telnetd?  Did you verify that? ;)
>
> 	Well, because I connect to the system using telnet ;)  Also, this
> guy has been known to break in to machines
> (theca@wil-de7-10.ix.netcom.com).  This is the person who also hacked
> irc.hardlink.com. I think this person goes around hacking machine after
> machine, and nobody does anything about it.

If this hack caused loss of service, notify your local (or state)
police. They'll do something.

> =)Also, I'd check that inetd.conf file again and make _really sure_ you
> =)haven't left remote shell access enabled - a lot of people miss that
> =)because it's not explicitly labelled "rlogin" like they might expect.

> 	I checked and disabled everything except telnetd in
> /etc/inetd.conf and rebooted the machine and then he kicked all of us who
> are admins out and shutdown the system.

Vince, I hate to say this, but you really need to learn more about
administring a system. Do you use SSH for secure access for people who
have root access? If not, you are *ASKING* to be hacked every day of
the week. If you don't use SSH, do you use one-time passwords
(e.g. skey?) How do you know your telnetd binary is what it claims to
be? Your machine has been compromised to the *ROOT* level. *EVERY*
single binary and file on that machine *COULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED*.

Take that machine off the net *NOW* and work on it from console. If
that is not an option, then you really need to start learning (fast)
about just what a hacker can do to your system. If he really has that
level of access, you are *SCREWED* right now without console
access. Even if you put sshd on there now, he could have it replaced
with his own version before you could make use of it and kick him off.

And I must say, if you haven't taken reasonable steps to secure your
admin sessions, and following the security and cvs mailing lists for
bugs, then you really have been asking for this. I know (from
experience) just what it takes to run a shell server, and just what
hackers these days can do with 5 minutes of their spare time.

Gary