Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:36:50 -0500
From:      "Sean Glazier" <seanw@xtdl.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation problems

hi,

I just installed from CDROM 2.2.8 release of freeBSD. I went thru the novice
installation.

Everything installs with no problem. When I go to boot the system from the
harddrive with the new system in it I get the following.

Sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags= 0x0>

fault virtual address 		= 0xefc00000
fault code				= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x18:0xf01eee33
stack pointer 			= 0x10:0xefbffefc
frame pointer			= 0x10:0xefbffefc
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type0x1b
					= DPL 0,pres 1,def 32, gran 1
processor flags			= interupt enabled, resume , IOPL=0
current process			= 0()
interupt mask 			= net tty bio cam
panic: page fault

I am running a pentium 75, 64MB ram with a 4 gig SCSI and cdrom + floppy
drive, it is an
adaptec controller and a 3com ehternet card. it is a system the once had
2.2.1 freebsd on it. then a windows NT system and now I an wiping the disk
and place 2.2.8 on it. The other freebsd installs were done with someone
experienced. This is my first installation of FreeBSD.

I chose all the defaults when setting things up and I allow the system to
autoconfigre the drive slices and the swap space.

Any help as to what I am doing wrong is appreciated. I am going on 2.5 weeks
and a lot of documentation and I still haven't gotten past this problem.

Thanks

Sean