Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 21:42:20 -0700
From:      "Chris D'Annunzio" <cdann@oz.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing problem (Default Gateway?) on laptop

Hello,

Working on setting up FreeBSD 4.1 on my laptop (Dell Latitude CPi) and
having a problem communicating outside my LAN.  I struggled a bit with
my PCMCIA network card (LinkSys EtherFast PCMPC100 10/100), but seem to
have it up and configured now.

I can ping all hosts on my local network segment including my default
gateway, but I can't ping any outside hosts including my DNS server.
All other hosts on the same network segement are communicating fine.

I've got my default gateway entry specified appropriately in my rc.conf
file and I'm at a bit of a loss for what to try next.

Some interesting stuff that I think might be related:
When I issue a "netstat -r" command, it prints out the column headers
for the routing table and then just hangs.
If I issue a "route delete default" command and then the netstat command
it prints out the routing table correctly.
If I reassign the default gateway entry with a "route add default
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" command, netstat hangs again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris