Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mb@imp.ch
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/21251: NIS problem - ypbind does loop in CLNT_BROADCAST

>Number:         21251
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       NIS problem - ypbind does loop in CLNT_BROADCAST
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Ypbind does loose the NIS domain after some time, then it tries to
retrieve it again with a broadcast network request, but this fails.

Some output of a patched ypbind with debugging information:

./ypbind
Do the broadcast
CLNT_BROADCAST
Cannot send broadcast packet: No buffer space available

and thousands of other requests ...

Because ypbind forks to do the broadcast, it generates a
huge network load. Every other host in the network has to
process the rpc requests and this generates and this eats
30-50% CPU time !

Sep 11 12:40:21 levais last message repeated 302468 times
Sep 11 12:50:23 levais last message repeated 302454 times
Sep 11 13:00:24 levais last message repeated 302707 times

Here you see how many broadcasts ypbind does, this is very
fatal for the network !

The rpc-requests are done as I can see with tcp-dump, but
CLNT_BROADCAST() does always report an error. So something
must go wrong.

14:20:35.703958 NIS-client.2386 > NIS-server.sunrpc:  udp 136
14:20:35.713419 NIS-server.30693 > NIS-client.2291:  udp 36

A interpreted packet dump is on http://www.attic.ch/debug/ypbind.out

It seems that the response from the PRC-Server does go to the wrong
port. Is that correct ?

Has anybody seen a similar problem with ypbind(8) ?
>How-To-Repeat:
Just use NIS and wait, it happens suddently. The load of the
machine will grow then so you cannot work anymore. Sometime it
happens sudenly, sometimes it works 2-3 days. At the moment I can
reproduce the problem.
>Fix:
Not yet known

If you need to have access to my workstation to debug the problem,
just ask me.