Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:27:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, proff@suburbia.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

> > Better that it be lost forever?
>
> Yes.

You can't be serious.  You must be engaging in devil's advocacy...

> > Code shouldn't need a hell of a lot of maintenance, if the interfaces
> > for plugging the code in are fairly static and well enough designed
> > that they can remain that way.
>
> Yeah, right.  If that were the case, you and I wouldn't be paid the big
> bucks to be software engineers, since any poor schmuck off the street
> could do our job.

And your point is that we are somehow superior to the average schmuck
because we write code that needs a lot of maintenance?  8-).

Really, the issue is one of designing good kernel interfaces, not the
software that plugs into them.

Are you saying that the general antipathy against well designed kernel
interfaces is a result of engineers attempting to maintain job security?

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---