Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:03:08 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Fuzzy <fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>, Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the SMTP rules for sending mail to FreeBSD

--XvKFcGCOAo53UbWW

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 10:34:28PM -0500, Fuzzy wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>=20
> > On Saturday, 28 December 2002 at 22:32:30 +0000, lewiz wrote:
> > No, this means that your DNS is flaky.  As somebody observed, this is
> > a transient error.  Your MTA retries about every 30 minutes for about
> > 5 days, and sooner or later the reverse lookup succeeds, and your mail
> > is delivered.
>=20
> I'm confused. I have an IP that has a lot of forward names,
> but the PTR points at the ISPs name. I don't have any trouble
> with sendmail sending and receiving internet email. even tho the
> PTR returns one of many name for the IP?

freebsd.org does not care if your reverse DNS mapping points back to
the name you identified yourself with, it only checks that the name
the server IDs itself as when submitting email resolves to the correct
IP address.

Many people (including me) have a working setup where reverse DNS
mappings do not give back the original hostname we ID with.

Kris

--XvKFcGCOAo53UbWW

--XvKFcGCOAo53UbWW--