Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:41:57 -0000
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Assar Westerlund'" <assar@sics.se>, "'marius.bendiksen@scancall.no'" <marius.bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-fs@freebsd.org'" <FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is LFS operational?

I'm working on isolating and expanding upon the Oracle 8i ifs
functionality.  That's it in a nutshell.  I've been at it for a year or so
(search the -fs mail archives for me as author).
My filesystem adheres strictly to the following design tenets:

1)   All components will run entirely in user-space with no kernel
      modification at all.
2)   All components will be written in ANSI C for maximum port-
      ability.
3)   All components will be available under the terms of the GPL.

Goals:

1)   Append-only log structure.
2)   File versioning.

I've run into a big snag concerning local caching.  Userland has
no mbufs.  Hmmm...