Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2020 16:09:16 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

On Sat., Apr. 11, 2020, 2:04 p.m. Wojciech Puchar, <wojtek@puchar.net>
wrote:

> > I read this article a few times in detail, but some parts are still
> driving me nuts. I agree that FreeBSD isn=E2=80=99t maybe that best Opera=
ting
> System for the Desktop User, but please, nailing it all down on the
> installation experience is strange at least. I think, it would good to ha=
ve
> an official response from the FreeBSD Foundation, to say at least.
> >

> What do you expect from article written by someone without any real
> knowledge?
>
> One more software "in collection". installed, seen, wrote article,
> deleted.

Useless email posted by someone without any knowledge of the author. Yay?

Yes, Jim doesn't have experience with current versions of FreeBSD (I
believe this was his first introduction to bsdinstall). But he has years of
experience with older versions, running ZFS-based systems. And with FreeNAS=
.

He's posted many times in the comments with updates and explanations.

No, this wasn't an in-depth review of using FreeBSD for any particular
purpose. But it was a decent review of the installation process, pointing
out pain-points to those "not in the know".

Instead of ripping into the author, maybe look for ways to improve the
installation experience. There's some great info around the ZFS bits that
those working on bsdinstall should look into (mostly around terminology).

Cheers,
Freddie

Typos due to smartphone keyboard.