Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 00:23:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fd driver hacking to recover data

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

:> I have a bunch of old floppy disks with some text files I'd like to
:> recover.  Many of them have errors and are unreadable past a certain point
:> in the disk.  Others I can't read from at all.
:>
:> The ones I can't read, period, are all 1.44MB-size floppies.  I've tried
:> dd'ing from /dev/fd0c, /dev/fd0.1440, etc., but exits with "Input/Output
:> Error" before copying anything.
:
:i think you can try dd from the raw device (/dev/rfd) using the "iseek"
:or "skip" option to jump over the missing sectors.
:Alternatively, you can use "conv=noerror,sync" to keep reading
:after errors (the bad blocks are NUL-filled)

Depending on how the disks are flakey, you may be able to read the bad
blocks some of the time.  Multiple passes with dd, and combining the results
by hand may be worth trying, as might be different floppy drives.

David
--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.