Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:39:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld : problem 2 (parallelism: -j 2/3/4)

"Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 08:38:32AM -0400, a little birdie told me
> that Mikhail Teterin remarked
> >
> > On  my  dual CPU  system  installworld  fails  when  run with  -j  flag.
> > Buildworld is  fine with `-j 8',  but installworld does not  handle even
> > `-j 2'. Here is the tail of the -j2 run:
>
> Out of morbid curiosity, why exactly do you run -j'd installworlds?
> Installworld is practically 100% diskbound, I'd expect it to run SLOWER
> when it's parallelizing and seeking back and forth between multiple
> installs at once.

If it were diskbound, I would have the same times on the P166 and the
Celeron 433. The actual difference in BW times on the same HD was 4.5
times faster on the Celeron. It didn't help to go to single user mode
on the Celeron and I have done things like fire off a BW from an
x-window. Setiathome used 51% of the machine and BW used the other
49%.

Kent

> --
> Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
> Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com
> Specializing in FreeBSD         |    http://www.over-yonder.net/
> FutureSouth Communications      |    ISPHelp ISP Consulting
>
> "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is because I
>       haven't figured out how to light the middle yet"

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ Home