Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:19:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, josh@bigcity.net
Subject:   Re: Setting time and date via ntp.

>From: "Josh Bell" <josh@bigcity.net>
>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:06:59 -0600

>Can you not use ntpdate? I know that a stock system of FreeBSD comes with
>ntpdate, even as far back as 2.2.2 if not earlier.  I dont see why this isnt
>possible to be used.  What are the advantages on xntpd over ntpdate or vise
>versa?

Well, they aren't mutually exclusive.

I normally set up a machine to use ntpdate during the /etc/rc stuff just
after boot time, to get the date/time correct at first, and then fire
off xntpd in order to maintain synchronization.

xntpd doesn't tend to perform arbitrarily large changes to the system's
notion of the current (date and) time; ntpdate will.  I don't recall
whether or not xntpd also ensures that any change that it makes still
only permits the time to increase monotonically, as it should.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915